- You can use Codeweaver Crossover Office to run Adobe Photoshop on Linux
- Use free Linux native application GIMP/GIMPShop instead
Now for second option ,
GIMPshop is a modification of the free/open source graphics program GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP), intended to replicate the feel of Adobe Photoshop. Its primary purpose is to make users of Photoshop feel comfortable using GIMP.
This is what developer had to say : -
"My original purpose for GIMPshop was to make the Gimp accessible to the many Adobe Photoshop users out there. I hope I’ve done that. And maybe along the way, I can convert a Photoshop pirate into a Gimp user."GIMPShop tries to replicate Photoshop's interface as close as possible , hence many tutorials designed for Adobe Photoshop could be followed for GIMPshop !! . Now besides all the interface change it adds naming convection similar to photoshop to Gimp . Other than this all the features of GIMP are preserved .
Like GIMP which is crossplatform and runs on Windows , Linux , OS X ,Solaris GIMPshop too is crossplatform .
Since GIMPshop is based on GIMP so it has all the features of GIMP .
Some of the features similar with Photoshop and Gimp are : -
Features Similar or identical to features in Adobe Photoshop include:
- Intelligent Scissors are similar to the Magnetic Lasso
- rectangular, elliptical and lasso features are identical
- dropper, fill, gradient, pencil, paintbrush, eraser, airbrush, clone stamper, blur or sharpen, smudge, and dodge or burn features are identical
- flip, rotate, scale, crop, zoom, move, foreground+background color swatch, layers, history, gradients, and drop shadow features are identical
File Format supported by GIMP are : -
- GIMP XCF, the native format (.xcf, or compressed as .xcf.gz or .xcf.bz2)
- Autodesk flic animations (.fli)
- DICOM (.dcm or .dicom)
- PostScript documents (.ps, .ps.gz and .eps)
- FITS astronomical images (.fits, or .fit)
- Scalable vector graphics for exporting paths (.svg)
- Microsoft Windows icon (.ico)
- Microsoft Uncompressed AVI Video (.avi)
- Windows bitmap (.bmp)
- Paintshop Pro image (.psp or .tub)
- Adobe PhotoShop Documents (.psd, .pdd)
- PNM image (.pnm, .ppm, .pgm, and .pbm)
- Compuserve Graphics Interchange Format images and animations (.gif)
- Joint Photographic Experts Group Images (.jpeg, .jpg, or .jpe)
- Portable Network Graphics (.png)
- Tagged Image File Format (.tiff or .tif)
- TARGA (.tga)
- X bitmap image (.xbm, .icon, or .bitmap)
- X pixmap image (.xpm)
- X window dump (.xwd)
- Zsoft PCX (.pcx)
GIMP can import (open but not save) the following formats:
GIMP can also export to (save, but not open) the following formats:
- HTML as a table with coloured cells (.html)
- C source files as an array (.c or .h)
- Multiple Network Graphic layered image files (.mng)
- ASCII Art or HTML, with characters and punctuation making up images
Now there is no need to install GIMP as most linux distributions comes preinstalled with GIMP however GIMPshop is not installed by default . Now since i am running Ubuntu Linux so am giving instructions on installing GIMPshop in ubuntu .
sudo dpkg -i gimpshop_2.2.11-1_i386.deb
gimpin the terminal window.
In short GIMPshop is a good alternative/addon package to GIMP providing new user migrating from Photoshop to GIMP easy transition .
Article Written by Ambuj Varshney (blogambuj(at)gmail.com)
For Linux on Desktop blog , http://linuxondesktop.blogspot.com
(C) 2007 , Ambuj Varshney