Saturday, July 22, 2006
Also MP3 support was missing as was for someother popular formats used on Windows, however i did expect this as these are proprietary formats but firefox was something which is free and could have easily been included. So i decided to write an article explaining Linux Newbies how to install these and make ubuntu a better Linux Desktop replacement.
Setting some default " root " password for Kubuntu : -
At the Console type
Adding more sites to Kubuntu's Repositories : -
sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list_backup
Making backup of existing Repositories incase something goes wrong.
sudo kwrite /etc/apt/sources.list
Making Actual changes to repositories.
Now replace evrything in the file with this : -
## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch updated software from the network
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted
## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch major bug fix updates produced
## after the final release of the distribution.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-updates main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-updates main restricted
## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper universe
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main restricted
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security universe
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu dapper-commercial main
deb http://packages.freecontrib.org/plf/ dapper free non-free
deb-src http://packages.freecontrib.org/plf/ dapper free non-free
After doing this type at the console : -
sudo aptitude update
Now installing FireFox : -
sudo aptitude install mozilla-firefox
After this a series of messages would be shown and mozilla package and all other packages it needs will be downloaded and installed .If everything goes well at the end of installation you should be able to launch firefox by typing : -
firefox at the console.
Installing MP3 and other Plugins Support
type : -
sudo aptitude libxine-extracodecs
sudo aptitude libarts1-mpeglib
sudo aptitude libakode2-mpeg
After Doing this you should be able to run mp3 and other Multimedia files on your kubuntu system.
To add mp3 support in K3b :
sudo aptitude libk3b2-mp3
Thursday, July 20, 2006
1. Installing NTFS Support : -
1. Log in to linux in Super User mode or do so by typing "su" command at the console
2. Type "uname -rm" at the console to know the kernel version and processor type.
3. Go to the website "http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/187/" and download the RPM package for NTFS driver relevant to your Linux kernel .
4. After downloading the driver go to the directory where you have downloaded the RPM directory and type "rpm -ivh kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.XX-XXXXXXXX.rpm" to install the driver.
5. Make a directory where you would like to have NTFS partition mounted Ex:- if you would like to have it mounted at /windows "mkdir /windows" .
6. type "/sbin/fdisk -l" to view available partitions and NTFS partion drive number
7. now edit /etc/fstab file using gedit and add line "/dev/hda1 /windows ntfs ro,defaults,umask=0222 0 0" at the end of the file replace /dev/hda1 with your ntfs partition as displayed by fdisk and /windows with your directory which you would like to mount ntfs volume onto.
8. Restart the linux to see change
2. Installing Real Player 10 and Adobe Acrobat Reader
1. Fedora Core 5 uses GCC 4.1 , Now many applications including Real player 10 and Adobe Acrobat 7.0 requires GCC 3.2 as they were compiled on these libraries hence for compatibility installation of this library is necessary.
GCC 3.2 Can be found on CD-3 of Fedora Core 5 , DVD or online
2. These Files are
3. To Install it using automatic yum package manager type" yum install compat-libstdc -33 compat-libstdc -296" after logging in Super User mode or after "su " at console
4. The library can also be downloaded as rpm from "http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/fedora/5/i386/compat-libstdc -33-3.2.3-55.fc5.i386.html" After downloading it can be installed as "rpm -ivh compatXXXXXX.rpm" after logging in super user mode.
5. After installing GCC 3.2 Library. Go to "http://www.real.com/linux" Download real player package and install it using "rpm -ivh RealXXXX.rpm" after logging inSuper User mode
6. Similarly install Adobe Acrobat Reader by downloading rpm package from "http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/7x/7.0.8/enu/AdobeReader_enu-7.0.8-1.i386.rpm" and using rpm to install the package
Saturday, July 15, 2006
Running Windows Applications Under Linux
(Part 1: Introduction to Wine )
What is Wine?
Wine was started in 1993 with aim of running Windows 3.1 Application by Bob Amstadt and later turned it on to Alexandre Julliard who has maintained it since. Wine though stands for “Wine Is Not an Emulator “. It consists of a program loader that loads windows applications on Linux, and a translation layer or a compatibility layer that implements windows API (application programming interface). It converts Windows API calls to native X/Linux equivalent calls. Because of this since no emulation takes place the program running through wine are comparatively faster than using an emulator. It also means that not all program works through wine but most significant of them do. The wine project is 100 % free of Microsoft code and uses publicly available API documentation. Besides Windows wine can also run some DOS applications though obsolete now. Another Interesting use of Wine is Running windows based games on Linux with continuously improving support for Direct X interface many popular games run with little problem and with commercially developed products like Cedega(program based on Wine) Games Support has been Improving.
Different Flavors of Wine
Codeweavers Crossover Office : It is the commercial edition of Wine and includes graphical interface for installing different applications under wine . It supports a large number of Applications including
Microsoft Office XP,97,2003,2000
Adobe Photoshop 6,7
and a number of plugins(including Quicktime,Shockwave,Flash) and applications.
Crossover Office Has friendly interface for handling installed software
A List of Installable applications through Codeweavers
Though it is commercial software available for something like. Codeweavers does offer a Trial version of their software. There is no notable speed difference and applications behave and function very much like windows.
More Information could be obtained from : www.codeweavers.com
Transgaming Cedega: - This is commercial version of Wine specifically for Games and some of the bestselling titles could be run easily using this tool. Also cedega is available for Mac OS allowing some of the popular games to run under MacOS. Transgaming works with leading game companies to allow them run their games under Linux , providing their copy protection and other closed source part of their games to run under Linux.
Some of the popular game supported are: -
World Of Warcraft
More Information and trial version of cedega is available at : www.transgaming.com
Plain Open Source Orignal Wine : - This is the free open source version of the wine which is easily available and free to download though installation is little difficult than the commercial products ,nevertheless it runs a large number of applications like : -
World of Warcraft (With some tweaking)
Corel Draw 7.0
Microsoft Office 97/95/2000
On the linux.
Here is instruction regarding running some of the popular applications under linux using free version of Wine.
Here is instruction for installing wine under Fedora : -
Download rpm package
Install it using rpm –ivh wineXXXXX.rpm
- Also on Fedora Based system one can use "yum -y install wine" command to install wine
After installing wine download winetools utility which greatly simplifies installation of windows applications ,also it allows easy configuring of wine .Get it here
rpm –ivh winetoolsXXXX.rpm
Launch winetools by logging out of superuser(root) mode and from a regular user mode by typing winetools
On the opening screen chose prepare base system
- Create Fake Windows Drive
Install everything relevant (TruType Fonts,DCOM98,Internet Explorer ,MFC classes) in the menu as it helps in installing other applications.
- DCOM 98 Installing Using WineTools
After completing this u can use option in the Winetools menu to install supported applications or install unsupported manually using command line interface.
Using Winetools it is fairly easy to install the supported application using it's graphical interface and is fairly self explainable. However if you want to install application manually you can do it using
after going to the directory
Installing Quick Time 6.5.2 : -
Download this script file (courtesy The simple Experience website ) http://tsx.nl/files/qt4linux-1.0.tgz
Extract the File in a temporary directory and launch ./qt6.inst
This will install the Quick Time after downloading from the internet . Quick Time Can be launched by running ./qt6 in ~/bin directory.
Quick Time PLayer Running Under WINE
Installing Windows Media Player 6.4:-
Download this script file (courtesy The simple Experience website ) http://tsx.nl/files/wmp64.tgz
Install cabextract from here : - http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/cabextract.php taking relevant file for your distribution.
Extract the File in a temporary directory and launch ./wmp.inst it will download Windows Media player and install it.
After installing go to ~/bin and type ./wmp
Installing Microsoft Viewers : -
Excel : -
Download this script http://tsx.nl/files/xlviewer.tgz
Extract file in temporary directory and run sh xlviewerinst.sh
Install it and lauch it by typing ./xlviewer.sh in ~/bin directory.
Word : -
Download this script http://tsx.nl/files/wdviewer.tgz?
Extract file in temporary directory and run sh wdviewerinst.sh
Install it by typing ./wdviewer.sh in ~/bin directory.
PowerPoint : -
Download this script http://tsx.nl/files/ppviewer.tgz
Extract file in temporary directory and run sh ppviewerinst.sh
Install it by typing ./ppviewer.sh in ~/bin directory.
1. Install DCOM 95 preferably through WINETOOLS if you haven’t done so.
2. Launch winecfg tool by typing “ winecfg “ in the console and change windows version to “Windows 95 “
3. In the console type WINEDLLOVERRIDES="odccp32=n" wine /pathtocdrom/setup.exe to install Office.
4. Go to the Installation directory (The C drive of wine is located at $HOME/.wine/c) and type
wine WINWORD.EXE for launching Microsoft Word
wine POWERPNT.EXE for Launching Microsoft Power Point
wine EXCEL.EXE for Launching Microsoft Excel